International Students

Thank you for your interest in studying at Fort Scott Community College.  We look forward to working with you in possibly pursuing an associate degree with FSCC.

*Any links listed below are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement by FSCC.

International Students

If you are not a United States citizen, you are considered an International Student.  You must meet federal government requirements through the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to be granted the Form I-20 in order to study in the United States.

Admission Paperwork Deadlines

  • Fall Semester
    • July 1st
  • Spring Semester
    • December 1st
  • Summer Semester
    • May 1st

Admissions Process

(all documents must be translated into English and can be emailed to

  • Fill out and submit the FSCC International Admissions Application
  • Pay the $50.00 non-refundable application fee by calling the FSCC cashier (620-223-2700 ext. 5090)
  • Send translated transcripts of all academic records including secondary school and previous college transcripts to FSCC.  Transcripts must be sent directly from the previous institution to FSCC.  Secondary school transcripts must be translated and include a graduation date.  College transcripts must include a certified evaluation and translation if not in English.
  • Provide proof of medical insurance (including repatriation coverage).
  • Provide proof of secured housing.
  • Copy of passport.
  • Proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination (if mandated by the CDC at time of application).
  • Evidence of financial resources in the amount of at least $13,000.*
  • TOEFL score verification, OR IELTS score verification.
  • Proof of full COVID-19 Vaccination.
  • Tuberculosis test results, test to be done in the US immediately upon arrival.  Test results required prior to enrollment.

*Proof of additional funds will be required for occupational/technical programs.

Cost to Attend

International Student Budget

Based on 24 credit hours (12 credit hours per semester)

Tuition, Fees, & Books*$5,700.00
Living Expenses$6,500.00
Health Insurance (approx. cost per semester)***$800.00 (varies)
Total cost per semester$6,500.00
Total cost for Fall & Spring semester*$13,000.00

*These costs do not include fees for course materials, travel expenses, telephone, transportation, entertainment, etc.

**Rates are subject to change

***Insurance cost will vary by insurance plan selected

Official Transcripts

High School and College Transcripts – please provide an original language transcript and a certified copy that has been translated into English.

FSCC requires proof of graduation from an accredited high school or secondary level institution, or a certificate of equivalency from a recognized agency.  This documentation should be an official, certified copy in English and should include a graduation date.

To receive credit for coursework done in another country, you will need to request a course-by-course evaluation to be done by a NACES or AICE member organization.  The list of NACES & AICE organizations can be found by clicking the links below:

Financial Aid

Financial Aid and student loans through FSCC are only available through the federal financial aid program (FAFSA).  Please note international students are not eligible for this program or for institutional scholarships.

Health Insurance Options

All international students are required to provide proof of insurance (including repatriation coverage).  Proof of insurance must provide the dates of coverage. 

International Student Insurance (

International Health Insurance (

Proof of Secured Housing

Campus Housing

Proof of secured housing on campus would include the FSCC Housing Approval Letter/Email received from FSCC’s Director of Housing. 

If you would like to live in campus housing please follow the steps below:

– Fill out the housing application and submit online (

– Pay your $125 application fee

Off-Campus Housing

Proof of secured housing off campus would include a copy of a signed lease agreement or return of a signed verification of secured housing form. 

Evidence of Financial Resources

Fill out and return the Statement of Finance form and documentation of proof of the ability to provide educational financial support by sending an original/attested bank letter, on bank letterhead, signed by a bank official or bank statements.  These documents cannot be more than six (6) months old at the time of submission.

Student Cost Estimate

Proof of English Proficiency

  • TOEFL score of 520 (190 computer score, 68 for TOEFL iBT)

  • IELTS overall score of 6.0 (minimum score of 5.0 in each band of the IELTS.  If a lower score is earned in any of the five band scores, the overall score cannot be accepted)

  • Nursing TOEFL iBT scores (Writing – 20, Reading – 19, Speaking – 20, Listening – 20)

Tuberculosis Testing

  • Community Health Center of SEK, 401 Woodland Hills Blvd, Fort Scott, KS  66701,(620) 223-8040
  • Community Health Center of SEK, Fort Scott Walk-In Care, 1624 S National, Fort Scott, KS 66701, (620) 223-8428
  • SEK Multi-County Health Department, 524 S Lowman St, Fort Scott, KS  66701, (620) 223-4464

*Must be completed within 10 days of arrival in Fort Scott.

Current CDC COVID-19 International Travel Guidelines

Forms and Resources

Prospective and Current F-1 Student Information and Resources

Study in the States is a US government website that offers free resources that explain the rules and regulations that govern nonimmigrant student processes in the US.

SEVIS Sequence of Events 

Admissions Checklist

Admitted International Students

Once all documents have been received and approved by FSCC, an acceptance letter and I-20 will be issued to the student (please provide your physical mailing address).  When presented to an American Consulate, the I-20 may be used to secure the appropriate visa to enter the US as an international student.

Once you have received your I-20, you will need to:

  1. Pay your I-901 SEVIS fee (
  2. Schedule your visa appointment with the US Embassy
  3. Upon arrival check in with the International Student Coordinator in Bailey Hall and provide copies of your visa, passport, and TB test results.

Payment of all tuition, fees, insurance, and room/board (if residing in student housing) must be paid in full one week before the first day of class for each term.

To remain in compliance, international students must be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours each semester).  Of the full-time hours, 9 credit hours must be taken face-to-face.

SEVIS I-901 Fee

The SEVIS I-901 fee went into effect September 1, 2004. The payment website at is operational. New students and exchange visitors with a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 issued on or after September 1, 2004, are subject to the fee. Continuing students and exchange visitors are not required to pay the fee except under certain circumstances. For complete information on who needs to pay the fee (or does not need to) see the SEVP website. There is a complete list of questions and answers on all aspects of SEVIS I-901 fee payment. 

Passports and Visas

To study in the US, you must obtain a passport from your government and a visa from the US Embassy.  Students coming to the US should apply for an F-1 visa, which is an academic visa granted only upon presentation of an I-20.

  • Documents Required for Visa Interview
    • Valid Passport, I-20, Evidence of Acceptance to FSCC (Acceptance Letter), Evidence of Financial Resources (bank statement/financial documentation), I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt, and any other documentation required by the student’s embassy/consulate (check their website)
  • Documents Required for entry into the US
    • Valid Passport, I-20, F-1 Visa

Transfer Students

International Students on an F-1 visa who are transferring to FSCC from another US academic institution must complete the form below and return it to FSCC.

Transfer Form

Maintaining Status


  • Enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before your program of study begins.
  • Immediately contact your DSO upon arrival at the school (no later than the program start date) and provide copies of your passport, visa, and any other required documentation.


  • Attend and pass all classes.
  • If you believe you will be unable to complete your program by the end date listed on your Form I-20, talk with your DSO about requesting a possible program extension.
  • Maintain full-time enrollment status (12 credit hours or more) each semester. 
  • No more than the equivalent of one class or three credit hours per semester may be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the class is taken on-line or through distance education.  You may take additional online courses beyond your minimum enrollment.  Online courses can be taken during summer or intersession when enrollment is not required.

Annual Vacation

  • Students must complete at least one full academic year of school to be eligible for annual vacation, and must intend to register for classes following their annual vacation
  • Make sure you see your DSO for a travel signature before leaving for break or you may not be able to re-enter the U.S.
  • While on vacation students may be enrolled, but are not required to take any courses.

Work and Practical Training

  • An F-1 student may only work when authorized by a DSO.  If you choose to work without authorization, you will be forced to leave the U.S. immediately, and may not be allowed to re-enter.
  • Students are eligible for curricular practical training (CPT) during their program of study.  CPT employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum and directly related to your program of study.  Students must also have completed one-year of study before they are eligible to complete CPT.
  • Students are eligible for optional practical training (OPT) during or following their program of study.  OPT is a form of temporary employment that directly relates to your program of study.


Working in the U.S.

Program Completion

  • Upon completion of your program of study or authorized practical training, F-1 students have 60 days to leave the U.S., transfer to another institution, or apply to change their status.
  • To transfer your record to another institution your DSO will need the following:
    • A formal written request to transfer to another SEVIS-certified school
    • An acceptance letter from the transfer-in school
    • Name and contact information for the new school’s DSO
    • The SEVIS school code of the new school and school name
    • Transfer release date


Transfer to another School

Apply to change Status

Permanent Resident Students

Students who are permanent residents must submit a front and back copy of your permanent resident card or other appropriate documentation.

Undocumented or DACA Students

HB-2145 is a Kansas law that allows individuals who do not hold lawful status to receive the in-state tuition rate when they satisfy the criteria specified in the law.

You must meet the following HB-2145 requirements to qualify for in-state tuition rates.

  1. Reside in Kansas for a minimum of six months prior to the first day of classes of the semester in which you intend to enroll, and
  2. Submit a completed and notarized affidavit HB-2145 Affidavit Form accompanied by transcripts that verify the following:
    1. Attendance at an accredited Kansas high school for three or more years, and
    2. Graduation from an accredited Kansas high school or a GED issued by Kansas

HB-2145 Affidavit Form 

US Citizens who Graduated from an International High School

Students who mark that they are a U.S. citizen on the admissions application, but have an international high school transcript/diploma must provide proof of citizenship.

Contact Information
Preecia Howser
International Student Coordinator, DSO for SEVIS
620-223-2700 ext. 3510


Courtney Metcalf
International Student Coordinator, PDSO for SEVIS
620-223-2700 ext. 3580