Student Success Center
Helping students succeed
The Fort Scott Community College Student Success Center provides students with a quiet testing and tutoring environment, allowing them to concentrate and achieve their educational goals. Free tutoring for a variety of subjects is available for individuals and classes.
The Student Success Center offers a variety of services for students of all ages:
- Free tutoring is available to all students. Our peer tutor program is designed to help students who are experiencing difficulties in a particular course. Peer tutors are high-performing students who have received training in tutoring policies and techniques.
- Test accommodations are available for special needs students. We are here to help if you need a test read to you or to retake a test.
- Developmental courses are available for students who need added support for reading, writing, grammar, English, vocabulary, or math skills classes to help them through college.
- Specialized learning software programs are used by some faculty members as class supplements. These programs can also be accessed by students who need or want extra practice or review in a certain area.
- Quality technology is available to all students through the use of computers. Whether it’s typing term papers, checking email, or surfing the internet, students are always welcome to use our computers for personal or educational use.
- Assessment testing is available for any prospective student. This FSCC placement test is similar to the ACT and aids in placing students in the correct course for their skill level.
- Knowledgeable support staff work in the Student Success Center. We pride ourselves on our ability to help people. If we don’t have the answer, we will find someone who does!
- GED preparation classes are offered for those who are relatively close to getting their GED or need class time to prepare.
- Continuing education courses are offered through the Student Success Center for the life-long learners in the community. The classes can be anything from basic computer usage to learning how to crochet. The course schedules are posted on the college website and advertised in the local newspaper.
- Adult and Family Literacy Program is helping adults defeat illiteracy in Bourbon County. If you know someone who wants be able to read to their children at night, or just read the newspaper, this program is for them. Our experienced staff has the capabilities and the resources to help adults raise their current reading level.
Business & Industry
- Job placement or skills testing is offered for those who have been referred by a company in or around the Fort Scott area. We provide testers with a controlled environment and an experienced proctor to verify the quality of the test.
- Industry-specific job training courses are available as the need arises. The Student Success Center carries a wide base of knowledge and experience when it comes to the workforce.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday – Thursday: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Friday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm