Services for Students with Disabilities

FSCC provides support for qualified students with disabilities. Students seeking assistance with academic programs because of disabilities (physical, emotional, mental, or multi-disabilities) should contact the Disabilities Coordinator through the Advising Office. Academic, career counseling assessment, and planning services are available to those who qualify with special needs. Transition services are also available to these students. Students requesting services should submit a written request and official documentation prior to the start of each semester. Allow a minimum of three weeks for services to be provided.

Limited English Proficiency Plan

Fort Scott Community College is committed to ensuring populations with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) have meaningful access to its programs and activities.  Upon request by an individual with LEP or staff recommendation after consultation with the student, FSCC will evaluate the needs of the student to determine the individualized assistance necessary.  Based upon the evaluation, individualized assistance will be implemented.  Attempts will be made to provide individualized assistance with available resources.  If timely individualized assistance cannot be made available, the college will contact Kansas Association on Higher Education and Disability for assistance in providing meaningful access to programs and activities when possible.

The U.S. Department of Justice defines LEP individuals as:  Persons who do not speak English as their primary language and who have a limited ability to read, speak, write, or understand English.  This plan also includes students with sensory impairments.

You can set up a meeting to develop your personalized assistance plan by emailing the Accessibilities office:

Interpreter Guidelines for Deaf or Hard of Hearing Students

The Americans with Disabilities Act, Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), and The Rehabilitation Act, Section 504, specify that case‐by‐case exceptions will be made to established policy in order to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability. Fort Scott Community College will evaluate each request for accommodations individually. If the accommodation request is supported by documentation, the Accessibility coordinator will respond in a reasonable time frame.

The College has designated the Accessibility Services Office to certify whether a request for an accommodation due to disability is reasonable and necessary. The individual must register with the Accessibility Services Office and provide supporting documentation. The Accessibility Services Office is located in the Advising office in Bailey Hall on main campus.

Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, may request a sign language interpreter and other accommodations they may need for equal access in classes at Fort Scott Community College.


If a sign language interpreter is needed at FSCC, the individual must contact the Accessibility Office at Its important to do this early in an effort to get everything in place in a timely manner.

FSCC contracts with sign language interpreters to provide interpreting services. If a person has an interpreter that they currently use and would like to continue with that interpreter, they need to share this information with the Accessibility Services Office to determine if we can contract with that interpreter.

Student Responsibilities:

When using the services of an interpreter, students have the following responsibilities:

  • Attend class – if you are going to miss a class session, you need to notify the disability services office with at least a 24 hour notice so that the interpreter can be cancelled.
  • Arrive early on the first day of classes, to make sure you can be seated in the most accessible place with your interpreter.
  • Introduce yourself to the interpreter and the professor.
  • Be on time for classes.
  • If an interpreter does not show up for class, contact Disability Services right away at 620-223-2700  or
  • If you have difficulty understanding the professor or interpreter during class, discuss the problem with the interpreter and instructor first to see if changes can be made. If the problem continues, contact Disability Services.
  • If you need an interpreter for activities outside of regularly scheduled classes (e.g. a meeting with an advisor, professor or tutor) contact the Accessibility Services Office.
  • If you miss three consecutive, or excessive, classes without notifying Accessibility Services in a timely manner, you will need to meet with the Accessibility office Coordinator to discuss a resolution.

Faculty/Staff Responsibilities:

  • It is the responsibility of the college to make sure that all material and programming is accessible to all students.
  • Faculty/Staff will ensure that all lecture and audio material is presented in an accessible format (e.g. closed captioned, interpreter, etc.)
  • Faculty/Staff will meet with interpreter and student as needed to make sure the classroom is set up as needed for accessibility.
  • Faculty/Staff will contact Accessibility Services Office at least 24 hours in advance if an interpreter is needed outside of designated class time (e.g. make-up labs, meeting with students, etc.)
Contact Infromation