The Fort Scott Community College VA Certifying Official’s office is located in the Financial Aid department of the Fort Scott campus.
In order to use your VA benefits, you must enroll in classes at FSCC and then be certified by the FSCC VA Certifying Official.
Follow the steps below that apply to you:
How to Verify Your Attendance to the VA
Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 students MUST report school attendance to the Department of Veterans Affairs on the last day of each month in order to receive payment. Call 1-877-823-2378 or verify your school attendance online.
Students using Dependents Education Assistance (Chapter 35) or Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) are NOT required to verify monthly attendance.
Reporting Class Schedule Changes to the VA
If you drop or add classes, enroll in classes outside your FSCC educational objective, repeat classes, enroll in short-term classes or are dropped for nonattendance, these changes are required to be reported to the VA.
Changes in enrollment can result in an overpayment that will be determined by the VA. Further payments will be adjusted accordingly.
VA Education Payments
If you are a student receiving VA benefits, the VA will determine your payment rate based on the type of benefit for which you are eligible and how many hours in which you are enrolled.
The basic payment rates are listed on the VA website. Also at that website is a benefit comparison tool.
The only benefit that pays tuition directly to FSCC is the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill you may receive:
- A tuition and fees payment (paid directly to the school) at the In-State rate only. The student is responsible for the out of state difference. Additionally, if benefit eligibility is less than 100% the student is responsible for the remainder of the tuition.
- A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This amount is based on the ZIP code of the Fort Scott campus (66701). You can determine the BAH online at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm.
- An annual book stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment ($500 per semester, full-time).
It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and anywhere from six to 10 weeks to process enrollment verifications from the school.
Generally, VA education benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school. For example, if classes start in August and your claim has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will normally be received in the first 10 days of September.
Any schedule changes must be reported to the VA Certifying Official immediately. If, at any time, you stop attending a class and do not officially withdraw from it, your last date of attendance will be reported to the VA and you will possibly be charged an overpayment.
VA Contact Information:
- Questions concerning your VA Education Benefits: 1-888-442-4551
- To verify attendance: 1-877-823-2378 or www.gibill.va.gov/resources/verify_attendance